Ads 468x60px

Monday, July 15, 2013

NICOLE'S REVIEW: Timeless by Alexandra Monir

Title: Timeless
Author: Alexandra Monir
Format Acquired: Paperback
Publication Date: March 13 2012
Publishing House: Ember
ISBN: 9780385738392
Source of Copy: Purchased from Fully Booked

Summary:

When tragedy strikes Michele Windsor's family, she is forced to move from Los Angeles to New York City to live with the wealthy, aristocratic grandparents she has never met. In their historic Fifth Avenue mansion, filled with a century's worth of family secrets, Michele discovers the biggest family secret of all - an ancestor's diary that amazingly, has the power to send her back in time to 1910, the year it was written. There, at a glamorous high-society masquerade ball, Michele meets the young man with striking blue eyes and finds herself falling for him, and into an otherwordly romance.

Soon Michele is leading a double life, struggling to balance her contemporary high school world with her escapes into the past. But when she stumbles upon a terrible discovery, she is propelled on a race through history to save the boy she loves - and to complete a quest that will determine their fate.


(Image and information courtesy of Goodreads; Summary lifted from actual book)

Review:

Truthfully I have never been fond of books that tackle time travel and books like these are probably the reason why. Time travel is an interesting concept but when you dive into a book expecting a decent helping of the subject but get a whole lot of teenage drama and too much cheesy romance, well, safe to say I wasn't pleased. Not at all. 

After a tragic accident forces Michele to go to New York to live with her super-rich uppercrust grandparents she discovers her ancestor's diary that has the power to send her back in time. Let me also take the time to mention that she has been dreaming about this one boy for a while now and when she travels back in time that's when she finally meets him. Chaos and drama ensue and Michele races against time to save the boy she loves which may or may not change the course of her life.

From the very beginning I was wary of Michele. I couldn't forge a connection with her and there were a lot of things about her that were off and totally unbelievable. First and foremost was her relationship with Philip. She's been having recurring dreams about this boy for a while now so when she travels back in time and finally meets him she fancies herself in love with him. After a few more trips back into the past she's more than ready to profess her undying love. Really, Michele? Aren't you supposed to be confused and wary and a little bit scared of all the things happening to you?

Another annoying aspect of this book was Michele's reaction to her time travelling. She's not the least bit curious as to where her powers came from and her only goal when she time travels is to make out with Philip. I also thought that she was going to have a supposed struggle with juggling her high school life and her time travelling, I saw none of that. She had no trouble jumping back and forth between the present and the past. 

The summary also makes it seem like Michele's got a bigger thing going on and that she's supposed to go on some epic quest to save lives and sadly, I kept looking and looking for the bigger picture hoping that this book was just holding something back but I always came out empty handed. Basically the story just revolves around herself and Philip and when Michele has a few realizations by the end of the book I so badly wanted to slap her for not realizing it sooner and maybe slap myself too for even bothering with this book.

As for the ending...well let's just say that it's a cliche. For some books a cliched ending I can excuse but for Timeless? It did nothing but irritate and frustrate me; add to that the fact that I'd already reached the ending and nothing really mind blowing or important has happened. Michele's so-called discoveries and the secrets she supposedly unraveled are blatantly obvious and highly predictable. 

What this book is, is basically a cheesy, cliched love story that involves time traveling. I wouldn't recommend this to people who are interested in the genre, heck, I wouldn't even recommend this to people who're into romance. Suffice to say, I think I'll be staying away from time travel books for a while.


Rating:

                         

2 comments:

  1. Eeeeeekkk, I feel bad that I haven't read this though I purchased it a long time ago. But then, I all got the more wary after your review. But since I bought it, I gotta read it soon. Will tell you what I think of it before the year ends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You better! I hope you enjoy this more than I did. :> I guess this just wasn't for me.

      Delete