Ads 468x60px

Monday, May 26, 2014

NICOLE'S REVIEW: The Falconer by Elizabeth May

Title: The Falconer
Author: Elizabeth May
Format Acquired: eARC
Publication Date: May 6 2014
Publishing House: Chronicle Books
ISBN: 1452114234
Source of Copy: Edelweiss

Summary:

Edinburgh, Scotland, 1844

Lady Aileana Kameron, the only daughter of the Marquess of Douglas, was destined for a life carefully planned around Edinburgh's social events - right up until a faery killed her mother.

Now it's the 1844 winter season and Aileana slaughters faeries in secret, in between the endless round of parties, tea and balls. Armed with modified percussion pistols and explosives, she sheds her aristocratic facade every night to go hunting. She's determined to track down the faery who murdered her mother, and to destroy any who prey on humans in the city's many dark alleyways.

But the balance between high society and her private war is a delicate one, and as the fae infiltrate the ballroom and Aileana's father returns home, she has decisions to make. How much is she willing to lose - and just how far will Aileana go for revenge?



(Image and information courtesy of Goodreads; Summary lifted from actual book)

Review:

Michelle and I have been looking forward to reading this book for a long time. To actually receive an eARC for this...well, you can just imagine the squealing and the crying and the howling. But, my friends, I'm afraid The Falconer did not really live up to our expectations. It's an okay read, don't worry, it just fell short.

Lady Aileana Kameron is the subject of scandal and gossip and suspicion at every ball she attends. It's not something she can help though, because just a year ago she was found next to the bloodied body of her mother who died of -alleged- animal attack. Aileana knows the truth, and it wasn't an animal that killed her mother but a fae. Hell bent on revenge, she completely sheds her debutante persona and turns into a cold-hearted, merciless killer. Her target? Any fae she can get her hands on. Her partner Kieran, who is also fae, trains her to fight and maim and kill his own kind for reasons unknown of course. 

I think the author was able to portray Aileana's grief and sorrow and anger in such a way that it was actually believable. Nothing wrong with that, right? But somewhere along the way, that's all there was to Aileana. Her anger, her vengeance. I don't mind the violence and the graphic descriptions of her kills but seriously it got to a point where I was just like "I get it. You're mad. On with the story, please?" Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against angry heroines but reading about someone who's angry all the time makes me angry too. I don't like being angry.

Moving on to the romance, which involves a love triangle, Aileana has Kieran on one side Gavin on the other. Who's Gavin? Oh just her childhood friend. He's her childhood crush; handsome, smart and he's wealthy to boot. He's perfect, just perfect. Now Kieran is your typical brooding, angsty bad boy who can strike a chord in women and turn them into touch-crazed animals. Okay. I might be exaggerating a bit but you get the gist. He's every woman's fantasy. (I was planning on adding something more vulgar but my co-blogger is lurking) How's a girl to choose? Can I also mention that these two are highly suspicious? Creeping around, keeping secrets and the like.

Aside from Aileana's relationship with the men in her life, there's also her relationship with the little pixie named Derrick who lives in her closet, loves honey and is a general nuisance; and her best friend Catherine; and her distant father who wants to marry her off. Life's a blast for Aileana. She's got to find a balance between her life as daughter of a peer, her various social obligations and her quest for vengeance. Not to mention she's stuck in a love triangle plus trouble with pesky faeries out to kill her.

I also want to take some time to warn you guys about that cliffhanger. Cue heavy signing - just when the action was getting started and things seemed to be progressing it just had to get cut off. Oh well. The book is still an okay read.

I'd recommend this book for people who are looking to ease themselves into steampunk/faery books or maybe for those who just want a quick fantasy read. 


Rating:


                          

3 comments:

  1. "I get it. You're mad. On with the story, please?" Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against angry heroines but reading about someone who's angry all the time makes me angry too. I don't like being angry. -You wrote

    That part was funny! HAHA I noticed her anger as well, and so I was displeased with how she handled her responsibilities. Plus the romance was way off. Gaaah. I love romance, but hers didn’t have the capabilities to become something more than friendship.

    www.lite-rate-ture.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sooo excited for this book!!! Loved the review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I simply like the cover! very steampunked-ish. I have yet to read this book. I like faeries but angry heroine? LOL. Great review.

    -Dannielle

    ReplyDelete