Ads 468x60px

Monday, December 3, 2012

NICOLE'S REVIEW: Obsidian by Jennifer L. Armentrout

Title: Obsidian
Author: Jennifer L. Armentrout
Format Acquired: Paperback 
Publication Date: May 8 2012
Publishing House: Entangled Teen
ISBN: 9781620610077
Source of Copy: Purchased from Fully Booked

Summary: 

Starting over sucks.

When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access and a whole lot of boring... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.

And then he opened his mouth.

Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens.

The hot alien living next door marks me.

You heard me. Aliens. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has lit me up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades.

If I don't kill him first, that is.

         (Image and information courtesy of Goodreads; Summary lifted from actual book) 

Review:

I had high hopes for this book, given the fact that I've been hearing a lot of good things about it. And now that I've finished it, I can say that this book is sadly over-hyped. I understand why a lot of people enjoyed it though; a pairing that involves a super hot male protagonist with green eyes and a gorgeous body and ordinary girl who's kind of a nerd and loves books just like us? Occasionally humorous dialogue? More hot boys? Aliens? Yeah. 

I liked the premise fair enough and the prospect of aliens intrigued me since we don't get a lot of alien books out there. (Or I'm probably just not familiar with them.) And I think I would've given the story a higher rating, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. Why? Mainly because of the characters. There's Daemon who, despite being godlike in appearance, is a jerk. It's annoying how he treats Katy, one minute he's sweet on her and he's acting real nice and all, then next he pushes her away and says nasty things to hurt her with a smug grin plastered on his face, leaving her mortified and confused and angry. Well, who wouldn't be mad? Daemon's constant change in emotions gets irritating and he constantly does the I-want-to-hate-you-but-I-can't thing which gets annoying and the way he pushes Katy away then pulls her back then goes on being a jerk to her... Seriously? I don't understand why Katy puts up with him. Now Katy isn't any better, and while I like her well enough, it grated on my nerves how she always, always, ALWAYS seemed to focus on Daemon's muscles. Every time she sees him her narration usually starts with a description of Daemon's bulgy muscles, the fit of his shirt and his biceps, and then when she's lucky and she gets to see him shirtless, the whole spiel starts over again. Don't get me wrong, I like abdominal muscles, and I do like bulgy muscles too, but this happens a whole lot and gets repetitive and I'm just saying, if I wanted an image of gorgeous abdominal muscles in my head I'd just go ahead and Google it. And Katy's feelings for Daemon were confusing too; she wanted him then she didn't then she wanted him again. Well, they obviously deserve each other.

What also irked me was how Katy's mother was always absent. I know she's a nurse and is working the night shift, if I'm not mistaken, and I know that's not easy, but I just felt that it was way too convenient for Katy. It was annoying how she seemed to have a close relationship with her mother at the beginning of the story but after she meets Daemon it's like that relationship is well, in a word, ignored.

As for the storyline, it wasn't anything special. More than half of the book consisted of romance, supposedly heated almost-sex scenes and Daemon and Katy fighting their obviously growing attraction to each other and for the life of me, I couldn't exactly understand why. Insta-love, how very... quaint.

With a review like this, you'd expect that I'd be giving this book a lower rating than three rainbows, but you see, I can't. Despite all the things I didn't like about this book, I don't actually mind continuing the series and I know I should hate it but I really don't. It's addicting. I actually feel bad after reading it because of everything I've said about it, but I just can't stop. So there.

If you're looking for a book where the actual storyline/plot gives way to romance and you're also into aliens and you like it when the protagonist constantly gushes about muscles and abs and various toned body parts, then this one's for you. Enjoy. 


Rating:
                         

2 comments:

  1. I know there is something missing in the book. But Katy and Daemon's love-hate relationship was addicting! Great review :)

    Samaine@ Bookworms Avenue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, glad to know you liked it. I found the relationship annoying at times. :>

      Delete