Ads 468x60px

Monday, September 16, 2013

NICOLE'S REVIEW: Rush by Eve Silver

Title: Rush
Author: Eve Silver
Format Acquired: Hardcover
Publication Date: June 11 2013
Publishing House: Katherine Tegen Books
ISBN: 9780062192134
Source of Copy: Fully Booked

Summary:

Miki Jones's carefully controlled life spirals into chaos after she's run down in the street, left broken and bloody. She wakes up fully healed in a place called the lobby - pulled from her life, pulled through time and space into some kind of game in which she and a team of other teens are sent on mission to eliminate the Drau, terrifying and beautiful alien creatures.

There are no practice runs, no training, and no way out. Every moment of the game is kill or be killed, and Miki has only the questionable guidance of Jackson Tate, the team's alluring and secretive leader. He evades her questions, hold himself aloof from the others, and claims it's every player for himself. But when he puts himself at risk to watch Miki's back, he leaves her both frustrated and fascinated. Jackson says the game isn't really a game, that what Miki and her new teammates do now determines their survival. And the survival o every other person on this planet. She laughs. He doesn't. And then the game takes a deadly and terrifying turn.


(Image and information courtesy of Goodreads; Summary lifted from actual book)

Review:

Rush is strange mix of time travel, aliens, romance, teen angst and insta-love with some action - the killing people kind - on the side.

When Miki gets run down on the street, she finds herself waking up in another dimension. She has unwittingly become part of this group of people who save the world in secret by killing aliens called the Drau. While she'd like to think of it as a game, it's not. Not unless you're into games where when you die mid-game, you die in real life. No respawn, no second wind.

I''ll admit to being a gamer and I've been through a few RPGs. Diablo3 being the last one I played. So when I read the premise for this game I was like "Hey this is pretty cool, it's kind of like that Hardcore mode in Diablo3". In case you guys are unfamiliar with it, it's this mode in the game where you basically have to run through the acts without dying because if you do die, well, you stay dead and you can't ever play that character again. Something like that. So obviously I was excited but when I finally got to read the book? I just wanted to curl up in a corner and cry.

Miki is a decent character, she's nothing really special but she managed to not get on my nerves. That is until she gets into a fight with her best friend Chloe because Chloe called dibs on a guy, and that guy is showing interest in Miki. Are you kidding me? If I were in Miki's shoes I'd toss Chloe to the side because you don't need friends who act like little brats. But Miki does the exact opposite, she wants to get back into Chloe's good graces and grovels. I was actually imagining doing a number of violent things to both girls because of their idiocy. 

Rush also features a sort-of love triangle. Jackson and Miki and Luke - Miki's friend who is also part of the team she gets dropped into. Jackson is like your typical YA bad boy love interest. He runs hot and cold, he's caring one minute and the next he's cold and frigid and tells you to shove off. Obviously Miki is drawn to him because aside from being their team leader, he's got secrets and that adds depth to his character. Right. Luke on the other hand is like Jackson's opposite but that's all I have to say on him. I'm not a fan of either boy. Can I also mention that there's a serious case of insta love? This is crazy.

Another thing I didn't like about Rush was the plot and the world building. I mean it's original, but the execution was just...very, very confusing. The info-dumps weren't particularly helpful too. And as I said, this book is a mix of well...aliens, time travel and some other things that make for a very puzzling read. 

I won't deny that Rush has a very interesting and highly original plot and the action scenes were okay to read but I guess it's just not for me. If you're into aliens and books that have a video game feel to it and killing stuff you could always give this one a try. 


Rating:

 
                         

No comments:

Post a Comment